Wednesday 22 February 2012

Why do Koreans and Irish Love Alcohol So Much?


There are few countries that have taken to alcohol with so much gusto as the Irish and Koreans. Sure there are some countries that might outdrink us (don’t wanna mess with those Russians…) But we share an earnestness and dedication that is unmatched.

Maybe because alcohol makes us forget our worries. And between us we’ve had our fair share of woes. But there’s something about how we’ve both taken alcohol deep within our culture and national psyche that I want to investigate. 

As I said, I’m sure there are other countries that drink more than us but what is it about these two countries that makes us stand out for our attachment to alcohol? (Koreans are notorious in Asia for their drinking habits.) 

One I mentioned before is, alcohol helps us forget our worries. Both of our histories have been plagued with poverty and tragedies. Alcohol helps you forget how poor and hungry and sick you are.
But the second reason I think is more important and more defining. Both the Irish and Koreans are sociable people.  And alcohol is used as a means of social bonding.  We like to make friends.  And alcohol can sure make you friendlier!

The reason why? I think it’s because another personality trait we share is our tendency to move in groups. The Irish are ‘clannish’, meaning we like to stick together. (Meaning we feel naked if there are less than four of us moving together.) The same goes for Korea. Here, you never do anything alone. You don’t even live on your own. Grown children live with their parents until they marry. This is sometimes a point of exasperation and humour for single English teachers who live in Korea and can’t buy anything smaller than an 18 pack of toilet rolls. (I have since been corrected on this point by WickedBiccie. She exclaimed that an 18 pack is small. A 24 roll pack is the standard size. Go figure.)

I think this group mentality stems from our histories of constant invaders and intruders – united we stand, divided we fall. And we use alcohol as one way to unite one another.
Korea has a lot more rules and etiquette concerning alcohol consumption than in Ireland, but the mentalities are much the same. One rule we share is:

Refusal is not an option.

In Ireland and Korea, this is the height of rudeness. If you don’t drink at all, then refusing from the get-go is not a problem. But once you start…it is beyond awkward to refuse a second drink. You would be seen as alienating yourself from the group by refusing. In countries where individualism is prized, America for example, I’m sure this would be a very strange concept. But in countries where sticking together is a survival strategy, this is completely natural. This is something I think we’re not even consciously aware of. I think almost every Irish person has once uttered the famous last words, “Sure I’ll just go out for one.” Almost as soon as the words exit their mouths they know it won’t happen. And that’s because it never, ever happens.

Another rule is:

No man is left behind.

Because refusal is not an option, rule number 2 is a natural consequence of rule number 1. Everyone keeps going until a mutual agreement is made to stop, or (more likely) continuing becomes physically impossible.  You can’t drink anymore if you’re horizontal or comatose. But it creates a sense of “We’re all in this together.” And also the mutual trust of “I’ve got your back.” Because if you are completely intoxicated then you have no option but to completely trust your drinking buddies. You have to have the confidence in your friend to think “If I pass out I know he’s going to get me home safely. Or if we get in a fight, I know he’s going to stick around and not run away.” Nothing creates brotherhood like inebriation. 

Here’s what my guide-book has to say on the matter. “Drinking in Korea is not only accepted, it’s encouraged and often necessary at certain social events.” Sounds exactly like Ireland to me! Try to imagine an Irish wedding or wake without alcohol. It’d be like trying to imagine Elton John without sparkly sunglasses and dangly earrings. It just can’t be done. 

A lot of the rites of passage and fabric of daily life goes hand in hand (or glass in hand) with alcohol in both countries. We drink to congratulate, commiserate, postulate and celebrate. Alcohol is linked to
both our cultural identities so closely it is impossible to separate them. 

We drink to forget and we drink to forge bonds of friendship. We both inherently understand the importance of sticking together. If we stand back to back no sneaky invader can attack us unawares.
It is this instinct for camaraderie and kinship that makes me feel there really is something about these two countries that is “same-same.”

Here’s a real life example of everything I’ve been saying. During my first week in Korea I went with my sister’s Taekwondo class to a mokali (rice wine) restaurant. I was sitting next to a lovely and charming Korean lady. Everyone calls her “Yaypun Unni.” It means ‘pretty older sister.’
As I lifted the bowl of mokoli to my lips, Yaypun Unni exclaimed in half-surprise, “You drink?” I froze. Was my newly acquired older sister going to lecture me on the dangers of drinking?
“Uh…yes.” I hesitated. Her face broke into a beautiful grin. “Oh good! I like you!” And we instantly became friends.

Next, I’m going to talk about a hilarious side-effect of drinking that both countries enjoy indulging in…

No comments:

Post a Comment